• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lego

Lego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:20 AM

Well after many years of service I think my STV1 has finally called it quits. The hard drive was going bad so yesterday I attached a new drive and STV seemingly initialized it without issue. I did a power cycle and since then I have a two solid blue LEDs and a hissing sound almost as if a fan was going bad but I know there's not a fan in the box. No idea where the sound is coming from...many a capacitor going bad? Regardless, it won't boot. Anyone else experience this? Search of the forum didn't turn up anything.

Lego

#2 wizwor

wizwor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

is the sound coming from the disk or the power supply?  If the power supply, try a different one.

#3 Lego

Lego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hey Wiz,

Neither, its coming from inside the Chiclet (STV1). I pried the white top off but can't locate exactly where the hissing is coming from, may be under the board. I did notice that it modulates the blue LED which makes it seem like it's in the power circuitry. It's weird.

#4 mike808

mike808

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS-Midwest

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

I have an STV2 I'm looking for a better home for it, as it has been put to pasture here at the ranch. I'd hate to put it down, and drop it off at the local recycling bin. My next option is a free OTA tuner/DVR for my son's college dorm, but I think they charge me for cable (and all the sports channels, no doubt - SEC/PAC10/NASCAR, etc. - including "The Ocho") whether my son bothers with a free STV or not. And then there's the challenger from the left corner of the ring, a Tivo Roamio OTA.

I'll check back if you're interested in working out an upgrade. Check my posts - I've upgraded the fan and heat sink (no case mods) and a timer to auto-reboot every day.

#5 alesme2

alesme2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

MIKE808 I was just checking ebay for an stv2 .

If lego doesn't respond I am interested.

I'll check back

#6 Lego

Lego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

I sent a PM a few days ago. How much do you want for it? 

#7 frank 99

frank 99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

My unit needs to be updated. It no longer streams clearly. I've reset the unit, I unplugged it, emailed, and twitter Simple.TV. The last response I received from them was, ' we don't have any plans to update the app or unit' this company is honestly dead. The janitor probably maintains their server running by making sure its always on.

#8 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

My unit needs to be updated. It no longer streams clearly. I've reset the unit, I unplugged it, emailed, and twitter Simple.TV. The last response I received from them was, ' we don't have any plans to update the app or unit' this company is honestly dead. The janitor probably maintains their server running by making sure its always on.

Is this the same unit you are selling on the other thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users