12 replies to this topic

#1 RagTag

RagTag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

Model STV-1000

I have been trying to reboot the device and it only blinks red light...for hours. I have tried to reboot by unplugging the power, and by inserting a paper clip in the small hole below the USB port in the back of the unit. In either case I get the Blue light briefly, then a solid red light briefly, then the constant blinking. 

Is it dead dead?

#2 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Based on the most common issues, it could either be a network connection problem or even a power problem.  It could also be a hard drive problem.

Can you get another AC adapter with similar output to see if that makes a difference.

For the network side, has anything changed with the router?  Are you connecting directly to the router, or are there other things in the path (eg. bridge, repeater, etc)?  Try and change the network port you connect into to see if that helps.

And then, for the hard drive problem, can you try another one to see if it resolves it?

#3 RagTag

RagTag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

I will check all those out. Nothing has really changed in the last several months. A while back I did get a new router, but I have used Simple TV since then with no problems. No, I do not have it connected directly to the router, I use a powerline ethernet connection. No changes there, either. This hasn't been a problem before...but, as always with these things...maybe that's a problem now.

It starts blinking pretty soon after plugging it in, so I don't even know if it has a chance to try to connect to the HD. But, I will check all, one at a time, and get back.

Thanks for the response.

#4 RagTag

RagTag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

Tried changing ethernet cable and using different port with no different results. The device never boots.

Tried changing out the HD, but was not able to get the device to boot up and enable access to HD settings.

Have not tried different power adapter. Still looking to see if I have one with the proper specs. But I'd kinda doubt that's the problem. It powers the blinking light!

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

#5 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Don't discount the power adapter, as it is deceptive even if powering on the lights.

And the HD too, it will immediately recognize when one is bad or not plugged in.

#6 RagTag

RagTag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

Final results: tried 2 different power supplies, different ethernet cable, direct ethernet connection to router, different usb cable between original drive, different usb connection between different drive, cursing at the unit, packing up unit to put in recycle bin.

All but the last resulted in no change.

I guess I'm off to research a Tivo or equivalent.

[Off-Topic Rant]

This whole complicated scenario of recording off the air in the digital age seems ridiculous. I admit I haven't researched it lately, but even just a couple years ago the whole process of finding an inexpensive, stand alone DVR was fairly challenging. Yes, I get that there's big different between the good old days of VCR's and today's DVR's, between analog and digital, but a digital tuner seems to be the device that does the heavy lifting, the translating between a digital signal and a video signal we can watch. Any cheap TV manufactured since the digital transition can do it. Back in analog day the cheapest VCR would grab the analog signal from an antenna and record the resulting video onto the available media, which was magnetic tape. Why is it so hard to find an inexpensive device that can grab a digital signal from an antenna (which is what any TV does) and record the resulting video onto the current available media, a hard drive, whether solid state or actual disc. This whole SimpleTV inexpensive DVR experience has been frustrating over the past few years. It seems so simple, and it almost works. (In fact, it works/worked fine...some of the time.) It seems to be only a few tantalizing tweaks away from being an inexpensive DVR, a true 21st century version of the VCR. I don't understand why it, and many copycat others, has not become more commonplace in this (supposed) age of cable cutters.

[End of Rant - thanks, that felt good to get that out there.]

#7 tac979

tac979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

Check out Tablo.  I used to be a simple tv user, but had a similar experience as you.  Tablo works the way STV should have.  It just works.

• RagTag likes this

#8 RagTag

RagTag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

thanks, tac979. I'll check it out.

#9 tac979

tac979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any questions.  I've had it for about 2 years and no issues.  A little bit of up front cost, but pays for itself.  They've been really committed to constantly improving it.

#10 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

RagTag I agree with your rant.  If RSS wanted to fix the messes, they could have.  But they directed their precious few resources elsewhere, perhaps due to lack of revenue.  But in the end, I wouldn't buy their next product based on their lack of ability to understand support and quality maintenance.

#11 jpm95687

jpm95687

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

I have a STV-1 that behaved similarly.
I found that the power connection was not solid. The barrel connector had too much play like the pin in the receptacle was too small in diameter for the inner contacts on the barrel connector.

I rectified my issue with a strategicly roll of aluminum foil around the pin. I do not run it these days, and just have the STV-2 unit going.

#12 Bubba

Bubba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:12 AM

Check out Tablo.  I used to be a simple tv user, but had a similar experience as you.  Tablo works the way STV should have.  It just works.

You are so right.  Tablo is completely silent and far superior in performance.  I jumped to it via Amazon and my only regret is the money I wasted on Simple.TV

#13 traffic_doc

traffic_doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

Tablo announcement from May 31.  

Unfortunately this won't work for me as I don't have any OTA signals that I can use (too far away and in the wrong direction)

https://techcrunch.c...act-tablo-dual/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users