Photo

How Long Will RSS keep Simple.TV Server Operating?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GKL

GKL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Has RSS made any commitment as to how long they will keep the server supporting our devices in operation?  

Has anyone come up with a means to use our devices to at least stream live OTA TV if the server ceases to operate?

If so, I'd love to know how to utilize my device without having to rely on RSS's continuing to support it.

#2 wizwor

wizwor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

I think it is more likely they maintain the servers than that someone will re-purpose the hardware.  For starters, the guide info is not free.  My understanding is that there were [much] less than 10,000 units sold.  Finally, there are inexpensive alternatives already.

#3 GKL

GKL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

Do we know whether RSS is a viable business?  Do they have other sources of revenue that makes it likely they'll keep the Simple.TV server running?  I'm assuming that the only ones still using these are those who bought one with a lifetime subscription, so I assume the revenue stream from Simple.TV owners is zilch.

#4 wizwor

wizwor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

I don't know anything.  I've talked to some of their folks and I've talked to some of their competitors.  My feeling is that they never emerged from 'interesting startup' status.  I have not heard anything about their cloud product and, frankly, I don't see that succeeding.  My guess is that they are paying a small amount for EPG support and database management to some offshore company.  I think we will have service for a long time.  I am less certain about support.  

#5 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

I agree with you wizwor up until that last part about "service for a long time."  If they are getting zero revenue from us users that purchased a lifetime subscription, at some point the cost of supporting and maintaining the environment is too much of a burden.  It was a flawed model to expect they would gain more paying customers without providing adequate service and support.

#6 wizwor

wizwor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

I exchanged a couple messages with Mark Ely (Founder, Really Simple Software, Simple.TV).  They are working with TV makers to roll out a cloud-based service (unlimited storage) later this year.  They are doing a the multi-DVR solution -- add 5 DVRs to your account and access from anywhere. Maybe this will allow us to share DVRs across markets nationally and globally.  Hope they ask me to test (for free).

In the mean time, they're keeping the Simple.TV service running -- though they aren't selling any more.  Good news for us.  Let's hope their new venture is successful enough to keep our DVRs running indefinitely!

#7 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

This is potentially huge positive news!  I hope they come out with the option to continue the life of our existing investments.

#8 emtater

emtater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

I love simple.tv.  I have 4 1st generation units working with little to no problems.  Once in every 100 recordings, the units will not record or stop recording a program.  It mostly happens when it is recording a pbs show.  The other minor problem is that the units blow through power cords.  I usually have to replace them each year.  I bought 5 at Amazon for under $15.  I have a tivo, but like my simple.tv just as much.

I am now using the simple.tv plex app to watch my programs.  The plex app is supportted.  I hope we have these units for another 5 years.  I am working on year 4 now.  

#9 MeeBee

MeeBee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Good to hear emtater.  Though I doubt they will still be working 5 years from now.  I'm thinking more like 2 more years, but I hope for much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users