Photo

Fast Blinking Blue Light

blue light blink blinking fast standby

Best Answer Vinny L. , 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Rebooting from the web interface or the reset button does not do the same thing as a power reset.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gigi

Gigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

A few days ago I could not access my Simple.TV through my Roku or the website. I thought it might have been the Ethernet bridge connection was bad, but that did not change anything after trying to fix it. Then I thought maybe it was the rainy weather in my area was giving a spotty signal on my antenna but that didn't make sense why I could not connect to my Simple.TV at all. So since I could not reboot it through the website, I rebooted it from pressing the small button on the back. It seems to be working now, as I can watch live and it did record my last scheduled recording, but now it has a really fast blinking blue light. I tried rebooting again through the website to remove the light, but the light continued blinking through the reboot process and now even in standby mode. I am worried that it means I messed something up and it will cause problems later on. Also since the Simple.TV box is in my room, it bothers me when I sleep.

#2 Vinny L.

Vinny L.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

You need to do what as known as a hard reboot. Pull the power from your simpleTV and wait about 1 minute then plug it back in. If that stops the light from flashing your good to go. If not try the same thing one more time. You should be good. Last resort press the small reset button and hold it in while doing this pull the power release the reset button wait 1 mintue plug the STV back in and you should be good.

#3 Vinny L.

Vinny L.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM   Best Answer

Rebooting from the web interface or the reset button does not do the same thing as a power reset.

#4 Gigi

Gigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'll try to unplug it and see if that fixes it. 

#5 Gigi

Gigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

It seems to work. I'm glad, because I thought it might need more steps than that since someone else had a similar problem in the old forum. Thanks! :)

#6 rkburnside

rkburnside

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

I know you already got this solved, but another possibility is that the simple.tv power supply may have gone bad. My unit suddenly stopped working and would only flash the blue LED VERY quickly (i.e. the unit wasn't receiving sufficient power and either constantly reseting itself or just flashing the LED quickly). I tried another 12V 1.5A power supply I had lying around and it worked perfectly.

I'm not positive why the power supply failed, but it might be because I have a portable USB 1TB 2.5" hard drive plugged in to it. I believe the power required to run both the simple.tv and the external hard drive caused the power supply to fail.
  • Denver Michael likes this

#7 ShelbyZ123

ShelbyZ123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

rkburnside, you are my hero!!!   :P  i tried so many different kinds of reboots/resets a number of times and still that crazy blue flashing was happening. i tried a different power supply and now i am back in business. wooohoo! thanks!

#8 jv1014

jv1014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

rkburnside, you are my hero too!

I never would have suspected the power cord.  My hard drive had its own power supply, but the Simple.tv has definitely failed.  

Thank you for posting, I was about ready to give up....

I know you already got this solved, but another possibility is that the simple.tv power supply may have gone bad. My unit suddenly stopped working and would only flash the blue LED VERY quickly (i.e. the unit wasn't receiving sufficient power and either constantly reseting itself or just flashing the LED quickly). I tried another 12V 1.5A power supply I had lying around and it worked perfectly.

I'm not positive why the power supply failed, but it might be because I have a portable USB 1TB 2.5" hard drive plugged in to it. I believe the power required to run both the simple.tv and the external hard drive caused the power supply to fail.

#9 Denver Michael

Denver Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

Ditto, rkburnside!

Plagued by the immediate rapid blue light, I tried unplugging my first-generation Simple for a few minutes and I tried the reset button, all with no result. When I swapped in my universal AC adapter (set to match what the Simple requires), the unit behaved perfectly normally. Woohoo!

Hey, Simple Support! You really, really ought to add this one to your What Do the LEDs Mean page: http://support.simpl...e-tv-box-mean- 

#10 pdxdale1

pdxdale1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

Some of us have found that the dim-rapidly-blinking blue light is due to a bad power adpater:

http://community.sim...aybe-3-devices/

#11 DJL

DJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:56 AM

We just experienced a power outage. After the power returned, our single tuner STV's LED was flashing blue rapidly. Multiple resets didn't solve the problem. A different power adapter did the job thanks to this post!

#12 wizwor

wizwor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

We just experienced a power outage. After the power returned, our single tuner STV's LED was flashing blue rapidly. Multiple resets didn't solve the problem. A different power adapter did the job thanks to this post!

Submit a ticket to https://simpletv.des...tal/emails/new.  Sometimes they can fix things on their end.  If not, check out your power supply.  It may have been damaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users