Photo

No Hard Drive Detected

Best Answer Sean Simonic , 07 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi Patrick. I received my replacement unit today. I connected all the cables and powered the unit. When I go to www.simple.tv/setup and log in, it takes me to a screen that says your simple.tv unit is unavailable. It does not go to the setup screen. I have logged off and back on and cycled the power but the setup process via does not start. Please help.

UPDATE: I created a new account with a different email address. I am in the process of running the setup now....

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

For Pat,

I am using a USB 1TB Toshiba drive new out of the box without a power supply. I have tried three different HD, two without their own power supply and a third with its own power supply. It still is telling me "We couldn't detect your hard drive." I cycled the power each time and clicked retry but it is still not recognizing any of my HD's. All are in good working order and one was purchased brand new today.

Please advise. Thanks.

Ps. I currently have the Toshiba Drive plugged in and all components are powered on.

#2 Patrick@STV

Patrick@STV

Simple.TV Guru

• STV Staff
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Would you mind leaving the Simple.TV connected as-is until tomorrow?

Also what model of drive are you using? (the specific model number/name if you have it please)

• Sean Simonic likes this

-------

Patrick @ Simple.TV

#3 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

I sure can. I was thinking about taking the drive and reformat it on a PC tonight using NTFS and then retry. Thoughts?

Toshiba Canvio USB 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Model#: HDTC610XK3B1

#4 Patrick@STV

Patrick@STV

Simple.TV Guru

• STV Staff
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

I sure can. I was thinking about taking the drive and reformat it on a PC tonight using NTFS and then retry. Thoughts?

Toshiba Canvio USB 3.0 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Model#: HDTC610XK3B1

If you can - leave this drive connected as-is.  It doesn't seem to be related to partitioning, we just completely clear the drive anyway.

Do you have the models of the other two drives you tried?  Or were they all the same model?

-------

Patrick @ Simple.TV

#5 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

If you can - leave this drive connected as-is.  It doesn't seem to be related to partitioning, we just completely clear the drive anyway.

Do you have the models of the other two drives you tried?  Or were they all the same model?

No they were not the same models. All three are different. The others:  One is a Western Digital Passport Model 750 GB # WDBABM7500ABK and the Other hard drive with a power supply is a Lacie ACU034A0512

#6 Patrick@STV

Patrick@STV

Simple.TV Guru

• STV Staff
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Assuming you've tried a different USB cable (as opposed to using the same cable for all three drives - yes you can jam the usb 2 cable on the side of the usb 3 connector) it may actually be a dead USB port. I've never seen that before but the system isn't detecting the hard drive in any way, shape, or form during the device startup. The logs skip right over mass-storage detection with no errors.

If you're in the SF Bay Area I'll personally being you a replacement and take away your old one - but I'm guessing we may need to ship one out.

The LaCie model number you provided is actually the model of the power supply, do you know the drive model (from the box - not from Windows Device Manager since they just repackage OEM drives in their sexy cases)

-------

Patrick @ Simple.TV

#7 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

That's what I figured. I used the USB cables that came with each individual drive separately. No I am not anywhere near SF. I am in Jacksonville, FL. How do I go about swapping this unit out for a replacement?

#8 Patrick@STV

Patrick@STV

Simple.TV Guru

• STV Staff
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

That's what I figured. I used the USB cables that came with each individual drive separately. No I am not anywhere near SF. I am in Jacksonville, FL. How do I go about swapping this unit out for a replacement?

Shoot me the model of the the LaCie drive if you can - just for reference it's always good to have even though I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.  I'm also going to run out and grab a few WD Passport USB 3.0 drives today. Assuming they work for me (which they likely will) we'll arrange to ship you out a replacement tomorrow morning and provide a pre-paid shipping label for the old unit (if that works for you).

-------

Patrick @ Simple.TV

#9 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

That works for me. The only Model number my wife can find for the Lacie was on the power supply. (she's at home, I'm at work). She said there was nothing on the actual Drive case. I will double check when I get home. That's in about two hours. Then I will find it and post it here for you. I look forward to receiving a replacement because this seemed like the perfect solution for our family with our Roku player etc...

Thanks for your help Pat.
I THINK I FOUND IT!!
PORSCHE USB 2.0 - HARD DRIVE - 320 GB - EXTERNAL - HI-SPEED USB - 4 PIN USB - 7200 RPM

#10 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I tried to run the setup again tonight. It is not taking me to the setup screen. When I log in it just takes me to the main screen that says there is no hard drive connected. I logged off, powered the unit off then back on and then tried to log on again and it still does not revert me to the setup stage at www.simple.tv/setup.

Any update on shipping me a new unit?

#11 Patrick@STV

Patrick@STV

Simple.TV Guru

• STV Staff
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

I tried to run the setup again tonight. It is not taking me to the setup screen. When I log in it just takes me to the main screen that says there is no hard drive connected. I logged off, powered the unit off then back on and then tried to log on again and it still does not revert me to the setup stage at www.simple.tv/setup.

Any update on shipping me a new unit?

Sent you a PM!  Sorry about the delay, I had a personal issue come up and take me away for a few days.

-------

Patrick @ Simple.TV

#12 Sean Simonic

Sean Simonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:24 PM   Best Answer

Hi Patrick. I received my replacement unit today. I connected all the cables and powered the unit. When I go to www.simple.tv/setup and log in, it takes me to a screen that says your simple.tv unit is unavailable. It does not go to the setup screen. I have logged off and back on and cycled the power but the setup process via does not start. Please help.

UPDATE: I created a new account with a different email address. I am in the process of running the setup now....

Edited by Sean Simonic, 07 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users