Photo

Can't play video from my remote Gen1 (it thinks its on my local network)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rowbert

rowbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

I have three separate Boxes, two local + one remote. While on my local network, all attempts to play any content from the remote box fails.

According to my browser / android app / etc, the remote box is flagged as 'Local' (not remote).

The other (really local) boxes play content fine. When outside of my network (accessed from work), everything is 'Remote' and plays back fine.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

#2 Andy

Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

It could be possible that Simple.TV's handling of multiple boxes on one account is not able to handle both local and remote boxes. Since you are seeing the remote box as 'local' this seems to be confirmed.

Likely you will need to have a separate Simple. TV account for the remote box. Yes, this may also mean another guide subscription also.

You may want to open a support ticket and see what Simple.TV has to say about support for both local and remote boxes on the same account.

#3 rowbert

rowbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I should also mention that this is 'New Behavior' as of about a week ago.. I had been running this setup for a couple of months without issue, so something seems to have changed.

I did raise a ticket (done by 'Leave Feedback' correct?) and am waiting to hear some noise back...

Wanted to see if anyone else had seen it...

#4 Watcher

Watcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

I should also mention that this is 'New Behavior' as of about a week ago.. I had been running this setup for a couple of months without issue, so something seems to have changed.

I'm having the exact opposite problem.  My local STV says that it's a remote unit when using the Web Interface.  Whenever I try to play something i pauses frequently (probably because my internet connection is not fast enough to stream).

I only have a single STV-1, so in my case it's not caused by having multiple units on the same account.

Like you, this behavior has started recently.  It used to work fine.  Fortunately the IOS and Android apps still work.

#5 Andy

Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Well it's entirely possible that Simple.TV made some changes and introduced this issue. Yes, leave feedback should get you some help. Based on other comments around here help may not be immediate.

#6 rowbert

rowbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Tested this from my 'Remote Location'. Describing this is going to get complicated... (I have a Gen1+Gen2 local and a single Gen2 remote...)

On the remote network:-

• I see the remote Gen1 as 'Local' as I should.
  • I also see my local Gen1 as 'Local' which is wrong (and cannot play video)
  • But I see my local Gen2 as 'Remote' as it should be..

Looks like it is only the Gen1 boxes that are getting confused...

Only other thing I can think of to try is to re-register it (them maybe...).

Still waiting on support...

#7 Watcher

Watcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

I found the issue that was making the WebUI wrongly believe my STV was remote.  The "EasyPrivacy" filter set for AdBlockPlus was blocking the "/ping.gif" element on the STV web interface.  Adding an exception rule to the AdBlockPlus filters resolves the problem.  I'm not sure if this is a newly added rule to EasyPrivacy, or if the STV WebUI changed.

Here's the exception rule I've used.  This will disable AdBlockPlus on all simple.tv webpages.  Hopefully this will be helpful for other users.

@@||simple.tv^$document

Technical Summary:

Every few seconds, the WebGUI fetches the file "ping.gig" from the IP address of your locally connected STV.  If the transfer succeeds, you see the Home Icon.  If it fails, you get the round remote ICON.

To the original posted rowbert:  If an STV box on both your local and remote networks have the same IP address, it's possible that this could confuse the WebUI into wrongly believing a remote STV is local.  Let's say that both have an IP address of 192.168.1.101, the UI will try to fetch "http://192.168.1.101...tic/ping.gif?_=(Number Goes here)".  This would normally fail, but if both networks have a box at that IP address answering the response it may wrongly believe it to be on the local network.

• wizwor likes this

#8 Andy

Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Wow! Very good info and obviously some reverse engineering of how Simple.TV is determining home vs remote. Good info.

#9 rowbert

rowbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

Thanks Watcher,  you nailed it....

It took me a while to get the problem local IP address changed (router config + a bunch of reboots of all the devices in question). Once it had, then everything started working as it should have. Football season is almost upon us, I was getting worried...

These devices are REALLY badly named! My 'Simple' device setup, coincidentally reused an IP address across two different networks (in two different states) and caused a very subtle failure. I had jumped to the conclusion that the server end of this was at fault (maybe it has a hole that could be patched), when the problem was really all in my own domain. 

It says something that 'Their Fault' was my first assumption!!!

Suffice to say 'All Good Here' now.

#10 Zenman11

Zenman11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Great post watcher, I've been posting about checking your ips for a long time. When I received my second unit I was having issues. It took me a couple days but once I setup static ips for all my devices my units have had very little issues. There really needs to be a topic in the Simple.tv support portal highlighting that IP could be an issue and setting up a static IP can resolve some of these connecting problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users